Friday, December 23, 2011

Big Barolo Unabashed

Settevie Barolo

I, above all, do not like to appear self-righteous, but I always seem relegated to answer questions about what I drink, consume, etc. Nevertheless, It shouldn’t matter...especially when it has to do with the things I imbibe; thankfully, no matter what I recommend, parlay, or debunk, it’s really your choice that beckons to interpretive quality. I’ve served as a critical liaison and the generator of hospitality when the whole of this wine culture we live in does not always make the most sense. I’m always here with a few noticeable orts of information to help people deflect the indistinctive points in wine and spirits. Call it an occupation, a hobby...maybe, but do not call it a reason to wake up every morning and take my advice as the ubiquitous-supreme; after all, I have confessions to make. 
Oh yes, I participated in the wrongful act of taking NO responsibility for my guests, myself, and everyone else that will be drinking wine this year. I practiced poor judgement in a way that is purely unjustified: I BOUGHT A BAROLO !!!! Now, before you get congress on the phone, I’m not doing this for effect, but at least hear my reasons. It’s been a long year despite how many resolutions I’ve made to make self-improvements. It’s been some time since I’ve actually sat down to dinner with a great bottle of wine, which may seem odd since I’m inundated with wine, but it’s actually true. Most times, I’m subjected to the rigor of tests and taste-offs that chastise my palate. Often, I do not actually get to sit down and intellectually pick-apart the wine that I bring home...then again, why would I want to all the time? I do like to participate in the sometimes innocuous placing of nuances in the glass, but I rarely get to sit back and sip continuously without enjoyment. 
But a Barolo? Of course...I need something chewier, more tannic and still edging with that same cherry-mocha disposition that makes the Nebbiolo grape so appealing. I’m still shaking my head in disbelief that I would pair the D.O.C.G superstar with the bounty of roasted chickens, sausage stuffing and similar entries commonly associated with Thanksgiving, but on a holiday that’s not Thanksgiving. It seems like an endorphin-based overload, but damn it, I can say after this entire year, it’s a well deserved ride that ends with me feeling bloated, but temporarily satisfied. 
Virna Settevie...ever hear of it? Maybe not, but it’s the difference between a Barolo that’s too much money for everybody and too inexpensive to enjoy by myself. It only ran me thirty bucks, but has the trim of similar exports that are double the price. I’ve told many customers that pronouncing “Barolo” should invoke images of masculine tendency, but I have to be honest in saying that a “feminine” one does not do the trick for most enthusiasts. It has an obvious musk and belligerence that can only be augmented by notes of sweet balsamic redux, ripe cherry, roasted sage and dry raspberry. I’ve sampled this bottle here and there, but I’m certainly going back to it for these reasons alone. 
I pretty much described in the recent past what makes a gigantic feast truly formidable. A less weighty red, or white, is not superficial, but always a good choice. I, on the other hand, am obsessed with a complete round-up of all my common human senses this Christmas; you know, only to expand them through food and wine, but especially the wine. I chose what I did to represent the fact that I too, believe in that inextricable need to relax with a good bottle despite what it does, how it reacts, and etcetera. I really want to accent the time I have off before New Year’s day by realizing there’s something gratuitous to be enjoyed before the next year brings a hoard of new phenolic personalities for myself and others.
My choice for New Year’s Eve? Probably Vodka...

Brian Maniotis
Westchester Wine Warehouse Team

No comments:

Post a Comment