Friday, November 25, 2011

Holiday Prologue...Sort Of.

Goldschlager

Though I already made my plight about the holiday last week, I seem to have, at my own dysfunction, forgotten about dessert. It’s a nominal part of the festivity and everyone is entitled to it, but I wonder...Is there any actual positivity to the idea of alcohol being applied to sweets and confections? Yes...there’s a good cross-reference to Grand Marnier truffles, rum cakes and even the sporadic use of framboise for brioche tarts, I would suggest maybe once, to top-off the night with a drink. I mean, you can still have all the fanciful pies, cookies, or collections of sugary amusements, but there’s something a friend and I cooked-up one night that you might enjoy. 
Now, please don’t be alarmed, but when I say “cooked-up,”  I don’t necessarily mean a scientific hodgepodge, but rather, a controlled experiment. I remember it being somewhat cold outside, and there was little to do, since our immediate families had already turned-in. Consequently, there was nothing more amusing than the ambience of old films. Blasphemy...not for the movies, but honestly, what is there to drink after you’ve had the fill of savory and, or, sweet? 
Remember Goldshlager? it sounds like a German beer brand, but it’s actually the quintessence of Swiss ingenuity represented in floating specks of actual gold. I swear that it’s perfectly edible, there’s no worry for elemental poisoning here, since most people can’t overdose on Au79; really, most jewelry outlets will be happy to accommodate you based on this principle. Basically, it’s cinnamon schnapps, with a lot more personality than others would suggest with peaches, blackberries, or any other fruits. Lo, it comes in a plunger-shaped bottle! Interesting, but tasty as well, and it’s going to help me emphasize the storied concoction I previously mentioned. 
Canton Ginger
All you need really, is some mulled cider, (i.e. apple cider, cloves, cinnamon, and dried orange lightly heated over a stovetop) a dollop of sweet “creme fraiche” and a final drizzle of caramel. You can add the Goldschlager to the cider mix at any time, but most people realistically, add enough to meet their personal requisites. I think It’s a fantastic warm cocktail that really shows its worth all through the wintertime bouts of seasonal depression. For whatever value it is, it takes one spirit to know another, so don’t hesitate to use ginger liqueur, see: “Canton.” If cinnamon is not worthwhile to you, this item can alleviate the boredom found in common schnapps, by having that little bit of Cognac to mingle with that gingerly aspect. 
I think it’s a good idea to have something a bit warmer this time of year, instead of always relying on cool, refreshing drinks all the time. Not to say that a warm cocktail cannot be somewhat refreshing, but It very well could cleanse the palate, if not being the marker for a more relaxing Christmas, or new year. I usually like to sit down with an old friendly mixer at some time during the holidays and It can prove its worth if I actually have the time to make one. Beyond shopping and planning, cooking and merrymaking, I hope we all have the scheduling necessary to look back on the year with a warm cup of something. 
Make it a good something...   
                     
Brian Maniotis
Westchester Wine Warehouse Team

No comments:

Post a Comment