Friday, May 11, 2012

Soju and other non-conformants.


Jinro Fresh
Very often, I have this innate, or rather single-minded interest in talking about an elementary subject more than once. Not in the sense that it has to do with a particular kind of something-or-other, but within the murkiness of basic generality. You know; two posts about wine here, two posts about liquor there, and it all goes on without my own understanding of the basic formula. Really, I could be assuaging the boredom of many, or being cute if I may imply it, but I wonder about the presence of my wordy, but whimsical dialogue, and how it might betray others. Namely, anyone believing in the truth of extemporaneous self-expression, or the sort of informal gestures I make in trying to hatch a point. Long ago, I figured at best, I could win recognition from hipsters, minimalist comedians and so forth, but I try to keep the geeks out there somewhat settled-in, as I try to make this e-journal completely relevant to its type. Which is funny when I talk about this, because I have for you something simple, pure and doesn’t require too much nonchalance to absorb. Realistically, I can tell you it’s cool, up-tempo, reverberant and has enough bravado to ensure my interest and yours; if so, I hope to relieve you of categories this time. 
Jinro Original
I would sooner joke about having a wine cellar in my apartment than to say that Soju is wine. It’s not. Some think it is, but how can tapioca and sweet potatoes make wine exactly? In my opinion at least, they can’t. Is it liquor? Yes, according to many it is, and it has a proof, but it has all the nuance of the grapey stuff and all the power of the world’s vodkas, rums, tequilas and brandies. Now supposedly, I have a wine. It’s made from raspberries, but would I call it a wine? Again, that is a personal no. To elaborate, I do not like to think of them as anything but a good time, and I really don’t mind saying that I’m tired of having to extricate the facts behind their delicious simplicity. Often, I find myself enjoying them year-round and I feel silly saying something like: “Oh well, you know, it’s like a...summertime thing, or good with freshly un-canned beans and similar foods.” Positively not. 
Jinro Plum
What I will say is that they both come from Korea, they are made by “Jinro” and I tend to like their “Maehwashu” as well, considering it makes me feel like I’ve wandered into a plum grotto. Is it wine too? My recommendation is to just try it.  That’s three things now. Divulging a little, the raspberry is made from 100% fermented fruit and homeopathic herbs, while the plum variation is made by a special freeze-filtration system that makes it round, naturally sweet and very approachable. All have a pervasive richness, so I caution you not to drink them before a wine class, or a gargantuan meal. The Soju however, is distilled, clear, and offers a heaping bevy of nuances that I’ve been only able to describe as “masculine,” or “feminine” depending on whether you go with the “Original,” or “Fresh” edition. Just do the comparative matchup as indicated in the quoted material, you’ll be just fine; besides, I gave you pictures too! 
Any of these are an anytime product, and as some will say, people indigenous to Korea know these are traditionally for the end of dinner. There’s no mystery there, but what is interesting, is that Jinro’s products have only received partial recognition as mixers and nominal spiking agents in places where prodigal cocktails are found. They don’t have the fora that exists for semi-pretentious bourbons, or the deluge of constructive criticism that downgrades other spirits. I would like to think of them as having no scholarly acclaim, and for good reason, would like to keep it that way. There’s nothing worse than the déclassé products become monotonous band-wagon material for college students and the discriminators within the nouveau riche. 
What’s nice, is that they are available, ready to be experienced and worth your hard-earned money. The best thing about them is they’re inexpensive, practical, and I don’t have to go into a tirade of descriptors just to make interests prevail. They are items that are relevant, and may one day push Sake out of the way for a little while, but it nothing too powerful to knock everything down completely. Two are technically wines, but two others are both spirits with dissimilarly palatable functions. Notice how I didn’t try to raise a hopefulness, or better emotions when describing them, since the experience is limited to what I say, do, feel, or personally like. Categorically speaking, they’re really, really good! As an old doctor of journalism told me once: “Buy the ticket and take the ride.” I mean, there’s no fun in spoiling someone’s first impression, so I decided to blur some distinctions.
Sure, I might have been vague, but after all, your curiosity is king.
Brian Maniotis
Wine Warehouse Team
Visit us @: westchesterwine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment